How many times have we decided not to eat popcorn for fear that it contains too much fat? Today in the blog we are going to share with you a trick to reduce the fat content of popcorn by more than half, thus transforming it into a healthy snack. So please continue reading as what we have to tell you is extremely interesting.
Popcorn is one of the healthiest cereals that we can eat. Moreover, according to the United States Department of Agriculture, they are considered to be a wholegrain cereal. Because of this, popcorn contains nutrients such as wheat bran and wheat germ, which contain oils that are healthy for us. It also contains vitamin E, proteins, B-Complex vitamins, antioxidants along with other minerals that our body needs. Furthermore:
- It does not contain gluten, and as such, it is appropriate for coeliacs or people who have gluten intolerance.
- Popcorn has a high fibre content.
- Helps prevent premature ageing.
- Popcorn can have more antioxidant power than a daily dose of fruit or vegetables.
- Reduces the level of sugar in the blood.
- Helps improve control of glycaemia in people suffering from diabetes, reduce cholesterol and prevent colon cancer.
- It has antioxidant properties which are beneficial for our eyesight and which can help with the prevention of Parkinson´s disease.
- Recommended for people with magnesiu deficiency.
- The fibre content in popcorn helps the digestive process and reduces cholesterol. Moreover, it contains B vitamins, specifically B1, B3 and B9, which are important for a healthy nervous system.
But how can we cook popcorn in a healthy way?
- Cover the base of bowl (suitable for microwave) with popcorn.
- Cover the bowl with a suitable cover and cook for approximately 2 minutes.
- The popcorn will pop due to the temperature. When this has happened add a little salt and eat.
- It can be prepared and eaten in no time at all.
Did you know this way to cook popcorn? Let us and our readers know, we would love to hear from you.